For over 400 years the dockyard at Chatham on the River Medway served to build and repair warships of all types along with the fittings that went into them. Closed in 1984 it is now managed by the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust. Housed in three of the dry docks are ships of different ages and types.
In Dry Dock Number 2, where HMS Victory was built, is the last of the World War II destroyers, HMS Cavalier. Launched in 1944 she served in many parts of the world untill decommisioning in 1972.
After a chequered life in preservation she finally ended up at Chatham and is nowa memorial to the 143 British destroyers and over 11,000 men lost at sea during the war.
In the next dock is HM Submarine Ocelot, an Oberon class boat. Launched in 1962 she was the last submarine built for the Royal Navy at Chatham Dockyard. Paid off in August 1991 as the conventional submarine fleet of the RN began to decline, making way for the nuclear fleet, She was sold in 1992 and preserved at Chatham.
The third of the vessels at CVhtaham is HMS Gannet, launched in 1898 she spent most of her active service in the Mediterranean on anti-slavery duties. Finall returning to the UK she was laid up and then leased to the South Eatern & Chatham Railway Company as a storage hulk. Later she became a sail training ship untill Chatham Dockyard took ownership and preserved the vessel in its 1888 state.
|camera||Canon EOS 50D|
|exposure mode||aperture priority|