Standing in the yard at the National Railway Museum's northern outpost the industrial locomotive Sir Berkeley has a quiet smoke as evening draws on.
The locomotive was originally built by Manning Wardle in 1890 and its last restoration was completed in 2007. It sems to have been a bit of a nomad during the yeasr in service, working over many small industrail railways before being absorbed into the heritage movement in 1964, just in time to save it from being scrapped, and was eventually brought to the Worth Valley Railway where its original weatherboard was refitted, having been discovered at Cranford. Restored to service it took part in the BBC Television production of The Railway Children.
After expiry of its boiler certificate the Vintage Carriages Trust bought the engine and firstly kept it as a static exhibit but in the course of time restoration to working order took place. Since then Sir Berkeley has travelled extensively within this country and abroad, having been in use at British Steel Scunthorpe, the East Anglian Railway Museum, the Dutch National Railway Museum and the Middleton Railway at Leeds, which is its present location.
|camera||Canon EOS 50D|
|exposure mode||aperture priority|