.... at Pendennis Castle.
Pendennis Castle and its sister St Mawes Castle have been guarding the natural harbour at Carrick Roads, Falmouth, Cornwall, for over 400 years. Originally built at the order of Henry VIII, the castle has been enlarged and upgraded over time to house coastal artillery in a number of batteries. The last time the castle saw action was during World War II when invasion troops embarked from Falmouth Harbour to take part in the d-Day landings under the powerful guns of the coastal battery.
The army moved out in 1956 and eventually the buildings were taken over to be managed by English Heritage.
The original castle with the gun room on the second floor is shown below.
|camera||Canon EOS 50D|
|exposure mode||aperture priority|