In the North East corner of Lake Ullswater, just outside the village of Pooley Bridge stands one of the most photographed of the boathouses on the lake. Known as the Duke of Portland's Boathouse, there has been one here since the seventeenth century.
It originally belonged to the 3rd Duke of Portland (1738-1809), but he became involved in a nine-year legal battle with Sir James Lowther over lands in Carlisle they both claimed, and had to sell his Cumbrian assets to save himself from bankruptcy.
The modern building has living accommodation, which is very unusual in the Lakes, and was up for sale in 2008 for £495,000.
||Canon EOS 50D|