Leasowe Lighthouse was built in 1763 by Liverpool Corporation's Docks Committee, who later became the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. It is the oldest brick-built lighthouse in Britain and was one of four lights on the North Wirral foreshore to guide ships into the River Mersey. It stands one hundred and one feet (27 metres) tall on Leasowe Common on the Wirral coast.The lighthouse was operational until 14 July 1908, with the only known female lighthouse keeper in those days, a Mrs. Williams. It then became a tearoom for a period, but fell out of use until 1989, since when it has been the base for the ranger service of the North Wirral Coastal Park.
||Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL|