On Shed - Swanage
The Swanage Line is one of my favourite preserved lines, they have some fine engines down on the south coast. Here BR Standard Class 4MT 80104 is standing outside the stone engine shed just past the station.
To end this short series on preserved steam here are a few facts on preserved lines:
- There are 108 Operating Railways and 60 Steam Centres
operating throughout the UK and Eire.
- Total route mileage is over 400 miles with 302 stations.
- This is greater than the London Underground system and would exceed the distance between London and Glasgow.
- Heritage railways directly employ 1,330 people and also benefit from the work of 13,550 volunteers.
- There are 1314 preserved steam engines, including Narrow Gauge and Broad gauge engines of which about 800 are operational at any one time
- There are 1397 preserved Diesel and Electric locomotives
- Heritage railways earned around 50 million pounds in 2005, 60% of this being from trains journeys, 15% from catering, 14% from shops and the remaining 11% mainly from workshops and charter trains.
All in all it is quite a a big business.
The Nightmare Cr...
Becconsall Old C...
6106 at Didcot