04 Mar 2009 • 1,135 views
St. George's Hall
.... The rear View across St. John's Gardens. The Gardens were opened on the 20th June 1904 as a memorial garden containing a fair number of statues and memorials. The gardens were built on the former site of St. John's Church and St. James Cemetery. During the Napoleonic Wars some 4000 French Sailors were held captive near here and, after the Peace of Amiens in 1802, they were liberated back to France but the many that died in captivity were buried here in St. James Cemetery.
The large monument to the right of centre is the Memorial to the King's Liverpool Regiment, Commemorating the service of the regiment In the South African War. The Kings was one of the oldest reigiments in the British Army, being first raised in 1685, and one of only four that were associated with cities. It was merged with the Manchester Regiment in 1958.
||Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL|
The Steble Fount...