The Steble Fountain
Situated at the junction of William Brown Street and St. George's Plateau, the Steble Fountain was presented to the City of Liverpool in 1879 by Lieutenant Colonel R. F. Steble, the Lord Mayor from 1874-75. Left to decay for many years at the end of the twentieth century it was restored in 1992 for the visit of the Tall Ships.
It was designed for the Paris Exposition of 1867 by Paul Lienard. The original was then sent to the USA where it now stands in front of the Massachusetts State House, Boston and is known as the Brewer Fountain. Other castings
are to be found in Geneva, Lyon and Bordeaux.
The figures around its base represent the four climatic seasons and the
fountain itself is operated from the nearby St George's Hall. The four
figures are the marine deities Neptune, Amphitrite, Acis and Galatea,
||Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL|
St. George's Hall