St. Georges Hall
.... The South End opposite St. John's Lane. Perhaps the finest Victorian Building in Liverpool. Designed by the Architect Harvey Lonsdale Elmes after winning a competition in 1836. Drawing on both Greek and Roman influences the building houses law courts, grand halls, concert halls and a mgificent pipe organ. The floor of the grand hall is a splendid Minton tiled floor that is covered up for most of the year to protect it. It is uncovered every so often to allow the public to view it.
The building of this edifice so consumed the architect Elmes that he died of Consumption at the age of 33. After his death the work was completed by Charles Robert Cockerell
RFA Fort Victoria