St. Georges, Everton
Built in 1812 on Everton Heights, just opposite the library, St. Georges is a church of immense importance. It is probably the earliest example of a cast iron building encased in a stone exterior. The components of the church were all produced off site in the factory of John Cragg, one of the architects, and transported from there by horse and cart. Once the molds had been produced many churches could be built using the same components and styles. Perhaps the start of mass produced pre-fabricated iron buildings shipped world wide from the Port of Liverpool.
The Tate and Lyl...