High on Everton Heights stands the Everton Library, a grade 2 listed building, on the site of an earlier beacon that was used to guide the richly laden vessels into the port of Liverpool.
The building was opened in 1896 with the library on the ground floor and a technical school in the basement and on the first floor. There were three reading rooms, one for Ladies, one for Boys and a general reading room. The building cost £11,300 to build and equip with 25,000 books. Now disused and locked up it could perhaps provide a splendid public building if it were to be renovated and used for it's original purpose. The council has commissioned a study from the Heritage Works to see what could be done.
Waiting in the S...
The Tate and Lyl...