On a hilltop overlooking the River Bran in Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, stands the remains of the ancient castle. Built in 1116 it changed hands between the English and the Welsh over the next two centuries before falling into decline and becoming a ruin.
Standing next to the castle ruins is a statue to Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Fychan of Caeo, a Welsh landowner who fought ont he side of the Welsh resistance leader Owain Glyndŵr against the English forces of Henry IV in 1401. He was captured and suffered the most cruel of fates, not to be mentioned in polite company these days. 600 years after his execution this 16 foot high statue was erected in his memory.