Fort Perch Rock
On New Brighton sands, guarding the entrance to the River Mersey. Built in 1827 The fort was still a major defence for the port of Liverpool up to the Second World War. During the war a radar station was installed and is believed to be the first in Britain. The fort also had direction finders and loud speakers. The only time the guns were used in the Second World War was against a German U-boat in the Liverpool Bay.