The Steble Fountain
Towards the top of William Brown Street in Liverpool, just where it broadens out into ST. Georges Plateau, and under the Wellington Memorial
is the Steble Fountain. Named after the Lord Mayor of Liverpool in 1874 it is a splendid circular cast iron ornament that really looks grand when it is switched on. For many years it was left to decay but has now been restored and makes a fine sight. There is a copy of this fountain in Boston in the USA.
The building behind the fountain is another of the great classical style buildings of Liverpool, the Walker Art Gallery. There are many fine collections of paintings, statues and other artifacts contained therein, another place to while away a couple of hours when it is raining. The two sculptures on the front are of the Renaissance Giants, Michelangelo and Raphael.
The Leaving of L...
County Sessions ...