The pier at St. Annes
The evening sun catches the side of the pier at St. Annes.
The pier was one of the many constructed during the victorian era. It was opened in 1885 and was 914 feet long, costing £18,000 to build. Around the turn of the century a Moorish pavillion was added at the end of the pier and a Floral Hall at the pier head, where concerts, operas and vaudeville acts with performers such as Gracie Fields, George Formby and Bob Monkhouse graced the stage.
Tragedy struck twice however in the latter half of the twentieth century when fire destroyed the Moorish Pavillion and the jetty at the end of the pier. Some years later the Floral Hall was burnt down, the end of the pier was demolished and the length shortened to 600 feet. The pier is now a shadow of it's former self.
Waiting in the S...
The bit that is ...
Spencers Swing B...