An occasional series illustrating a Journey along the River Mersey
Several miles inland from the mouth of the River Mersey, where the river is at it's widest point just before the Runcorn Gap, stands the Hale Point Lighthouse. Before rail and road transport became kings the river carried a great amount of traffic on it. The sand banks have always been treachorous, and still are, so a light was built ot Hale Point in 1838 to provide guidance to the ships that passed. It was replaced in 1906 by the present lighthouse which operated until 1958. It is now a private residence. The hills in the background are the Clwyd Hills of North Wales.
||Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL|
The Hale History...