The Bridewell on Campbell Square
Now a Bistro and Bar, the Bridewell was built in 1861 as a police statiion and local prison. The cells are still there, with diners enjoying the atmosphere within.
Bridewell is a generic term meaning house of correction and stems from th "Bridewell Palace", one of Henry VIII's residences. It was named after a well dedicated to St. Bride. In 1553 Edward VI gave the palce to the city of Lnodon and they used it as a prison, poorhouse and hospital. Soon after the name became a general term for prisons.
To quote an old source they were used "for the correction of all strumpets, night-walkers, pickpockets, vagrants and incorrigible and disobedient servants".
The Bridewell is also connected to Charles Dickens, in 1860 he was sworn in as a special constable in the Liverpool Police Force to aid his research in writing The Uncommercial Traveller and was stationed at the Bridewell.
The strange shaped object in the foreground is a sculpture by the artist Stephen Broadbent and is called Seed, it was installed in 2002.
Shelters on the ...
Guarding the daf...