A lone walker comes over the crest of Ashurst Hill in West Lancashire and passes the beacon on the top of the hill. Ashurst Hill is one of the highest hills in the area and the beacon can be seen for miles around.
Beacon's were tradionally lit to warn of imminent national danger, such as the Spanish Armada. By the times of the Napoleoninc Wars in the late 18th century most had fallen into disuse and disrepair but the fear of invasion by the French meant that many were made again. Some were manned and small barracks were built to house the necessary soldiers.
Ashurst's beacon, built in 1798 by Lord Skelmersdale, may have been constructed for just such a reason. It's windows and doors are now all blocked up and it is a local landmark in the centre of a country park.
||Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL|
The Nightmare Cr...
Guarding the daf...
Reflections of B...