The Liverpool Overhead Railway was the world's first elevated electric railway and ran from Seaforth in tne north to the Dingle in the south. It was also known as the Docker's Umbrella as it ran alongside the docks providing fabulous views of the ships and industry of that ares. Built in 1889 and extended to the Dingle in 1896. It provided a valuable service until it was dismantled in 1956 as it was not economical to provide the repairs necessary to keep it running.
The portal above Heculaneum Dock is the only surviving sign that the railway exisited. This is where the railway entered the rock upon which the Dingle was built to reach the only underground station on an overhead railway.
|exposure mode||full manual|